2006 Awards and the MTB -- Log
|From 06-10-15 - MT...|
Last Saturday night was the banquet for the GVVA (Velodrome Assoc.) at Macaroni Grill (i cannot recommend the water strongly enough). It was fun to see 'the gang', and also give out recognition and awards for the top racers of the year.
A really funny note: this year, the top A, B and C riders are all veggie - how do you like them apples? ;)
In addition to earning top points in the A weekly race series, i was also given an award for my efforts at organizing various aspects in the club - it was nice to be recognized for that! Of course, all the people i race with make it worthwhile, but it's still nice to hear. =)
I guess this is as good of a time as any to reflect on my previous goals and accomplishments for 2006! So, looking back, i set these goals for myself in the beginning of March:
* get under 5:25 in the 4km pursuit on the track (pb is around 5:40) (UPDATED to reflect realistic times..heh..)I'd say it was a success! I beat my PB in the Pursuit, getting a 5:22 at the Provincials, which was also just off the Podium (by 3 seconds!) I also finished 3rd in the Points race and 2nd in the Keirin at the second Trackfest. I tied for second in the overall Omnium for the day, and finished third in the overall series Omnium! (I wish the third trackfest had happened!!)
* finish in the top 3 in weekly racing several times, if not consistantly!
* get well under 25min in weekly 18km TT (pb 26:03)
* starting road racing, esp. bigger races....if i get to enough, break out of Cat4
* get enough REST this year!! (I rode a lot last year, several times over the summer would ride /race 14+ days in a row without a break!)
* get much closer to a podium position in the Provincials in late Aug
* get some much longer rides in...160km is around my 'top', would like to hit 200-250km. (Longer rides feel fine, i just haven't actually tried, usually no one wants to head out that long!)
I usually finished well in the weekly race series (obviously!) And in the last few months i was at the point where finishing up high was no longer a priority, and instead i'm taking opportunities to experiment, and try different tactics, attacking a lot more frequently, taking massive pulls, etc.. It's pretty nice to be there now. Will be doing this a lot more in 2007.
Happily, i got under 26mins in the TT, but nowhere near 25mins.. That really should have been do-able for me, but the TT fell at the 'end' of my training week (i'd race Thu, ride Fri thru Sun, race Monday, and then the TT on Tues..) and wasn't that much of a priority, so i was never fresh..and actually got some really bad times, up near 27mins..! Not sure how much effort i'll put into this in 2007, we'll have to see..
Road races weren't a priority, and didn't enter into one after Bastion Square, and i don't regret it! ;)
I got a lot more rest this year, Wednesdays were almost always taken off, and many Fridays. However, come September, i felt more wiped than ever...i'd been really given'er!
Also never got out for the long rides, which is prolly a good thing. ;)
So, i'm quite happy with 2006, and really looking forward to 2007! Main goals will be to sink my 4km Pursuit time even more, and ride even better in the bunch races. Road will likely stay off my radar, and i'll prolly play with the TT's a little more...
|From 06-10-15 - MT...|
It was a marathon 5hr event, taking well over an hour to cruise out, and then lots of stops on the ride. People MTB really differently from when i used to come out, like 10+yrs ago..
For example, i was the only person in spandex! Everyone else was in baggy shorts.
I had SPD's, they had flats and shin/knee pads.
I had a camel back, they had full backpacks.
My bike was fully rigid, they had full suspension.
I'd try and ride up and down a lot of stuff, they'd hike it.
So strange! And instead of just riding, we'd stop after just about every section and chat for a few minutes, then keep on riding... So bizarre!
Still, it was a lot of fun to be out there, and i surprised myself with a pretty decent amount of skill...and i also ave a LOT more power than last time i hit the trails, and when in trouble, i could just pump out the watts and manhandle whatever was underneath me..very cool.. I might make this a regular part of my schedule!
Anyway, that's about it, a few more new pics here, and check out the muddy legs -woot!!